13 Useful Job Seeker Tips
REALLY USEFUL TIP!
If you're trawling the internet daily looking for newly posted vacancies, why not set up Google Alerts? Then you'll receive daily alerts matching the search terms you've chosen.
It's FREE and easy to do, and you can set up as many alerts as you like.
We've written a short blog about setting up Google Alerts - read it here.
- Keep all your employment documents and certificates together in a safe, dry place.
- Keep a record of your employment dates - months and years are sufficient.
- List the things you most enjoyed doing in previous jobs... and a list of those you least enjoyed.
- List your achievements including examination successes, prizes and awards with dates achieved.
- List your strengths & weaknesses, then try to address the latter.
- Write a description for your ideal job. Think about the skills you would need to secure that job, and then work towards acquiring those skills.
- Don't just say you are "going to do something"... actually do it! Set target dates for achieving each goal.
- If the goal is particularly ambitious, break it down into small milestones.
- Ask a friend or family member to support you in your goals.
- Be realistic with your ambitions but make sure you stretch yourself a little to continually improve your skills and employability.
- Be aware of your personal "brand". You are selling yourself so make sure that you have a good online presence (Facebook, etc) and that your appearance and presentation is tip-top. Click here to see our separate tips on Personal Branding.
- It's a tough world out there, so you constantly need to be improving yourself to stay ahead of the game and enhance your opportunities and employability.
- See above for the best tip of all...
It's not always easy finding work but it's even more difficult if you're ill-prepared. We're here to help. Get in touch on 0118 988 7628